Weekly Digest #34
Talks about different concerns and solutions when moving from single to multi-device infrastructure
Talks about the responsibilities of a principal engineer when they are on-call.
It's more likely for senior staff to find and fix the root cause of the recurring issues.
- Potential for change
- Lead by example
- Normalize asking questions
- Show that on-call response matters
- Show that everyone’s time is valuable
- Remain familiar with the system
- Stay close to your customers
- Spot systemic issues
- Improve training materials
- Gain the respect of your team
Learn to speak the language of different fields (e.g. finance)— talk to them
- To achieve anything significant you need funding
- To get the funding you need to persuade the people with the money to part with it
- To persuade the people with the money, you need to understand what they value
- To understand what they value, you need to understand how their cash flows work
- To understand how their cash flow works, you need to understand:
- your customers/clients and how and why they part with their money
- the legal and regulatory constraints on your business and how it operates
Talks about how the javadoc style of commenting isn’t necessary. In my experience, golang application usually follow a much simpler style of commenting code.
pasting in vim. Sometimes, you may find your code incorrectly identified, this post shows how to address such an issue.
- turn off auto-indent
- autofocus on the first field
- use specialized mobile keyboards
- validate fields immediately
- make labels clickable
- show password requirements when users are choosing a password
- let users see their password
- use button text to expose the value waiting for users on the other side
- allow for single sign-on
- save a click by notifying users they agree to the terms of service (not requiring their explicit permission)
- use different terms for “sign in” and “sign up”
- allow easy switching between “sign in” and “sign up”
- log in with email, not username
- if the user guesses an invalid password, say why it’s invalid
- remember typed values between password attempts
- the “reset password” screen should remember which email you already entered
The online retailer needs to match the price with the physical bookstore for the new books.
A type of construction, they are fortified farmhouses with no door entrance.